Pin Back Button




1908 JAMAICA QUEENS SUBWAY PINBACK. S C A R C E original, beautiful 1-1/4" cello pinback, "Jamaica Subway Celebration, June 4, 5, 6,'08. Jamaica, Queens celebrated because the connection of the NYC subway with the Long Island Railway at Flatbush Avenue brought commuters that much closer to Manhattan. A June 4, 1908 article from the Brooklyn Daily Eagle stated, Opening Day of the Long Island Subway Celebration in Jamaica..

Over two hundred policemen was required for to-day, and this number will be increased to 500 to-morrow, when the automobile speed contests are expected to draw the record crowd of the celebration. The great Long Island Subway Celebration at Jamaica was officially opened this morning with the arrival of the special train bearing Governor Hughes and other distinguished guests. The three day carnival began with a crowd variously estimated at between 50,000 and 100,000 people in attendance.

The feature of to-day's programme is the firemen's, industrial, civic and military parade with nearly 10,000 men in line and a great array of magnificent floats. The parade was reviewed by the governor, who then left for Brooklyn, the other guests adjourning to the Jamaica Club for luncheon.

During the three days of the celebration, which will last until Saturday night, there will not be a moment when some unique diversion will not be in progress for the entertainment of the vast throngs. Originates from a large collection of 1900s/1910s political and fraternal pinbacks, mostly from the New England area. The first underground line of the.

Opened on October 27, 1904. Almost 35 years after the opening of the first elevated line in New York City, which became the. By the time the first subway opened, the lines had been consolidated into two privately owned systems, the. The city was closely involved: all lines built for the IRT and most other lines built or improved for the BRT after 1913 were built by the city and leased to the companies.

The first line of the city-owned and operated. (IND) opened in 1932; this system was intended to compete with the private systems and allow some of the elevated railways to be torn down, but kept within the core of the City due to the low amount of startup capital provided to the municipal Board of Transportation, the later MTA, by the state. This required it to be run "at cost", necessitating fares up to double the five-cent fare popular at the time. In 1940, the two private systems were bought by the city and some elevated lines closed immediately while others closed soon after.

Were built between the IND and BMT, and now operate as one division called the. And stations too narrow to accommodate B Division cars, and contain curves too sharp for B Division cars, the IRT remains its own division. New York City Transit Authority. (NYCTA), a public authority presided by New York City, was created in 1953 to take over subway, bus, and streetcar operations from the city.

And placed under control of the state-level. Soon after the MTA took control of the subway, New York City entered a fiscal crisis. It closed many elevated subway lines that became too expensive to maintain. Graffiti and crime became common, and equipment and stations fell into decrepit condition.

The New York City Subway tried to stay solvent, so it had to make many service cutbacks and defer necessary maintenance projects. On lines running through Lower Manhattan, particularly the. IRT Broadway Seventh Avenue Line. Which ran directly underneath the. Sections of the tunnel, as well as the.

Station, which was directly underneath the Twin Towers, were severely damaged by the collapse and had to be rebuilt, requiring suspension of service on that line south of Chambers Street. Ten other nearby stations were closed while dust and debris were cleaned up. By March 2002, seven of those stations had reopened.

The rest (except for Cortlandt Street on the IRT Broadway Seventh Avenue Line) reopened on September 15, 2002 along with service south of Chambers Street. Expansions of the New York City Subway include the. That opened in September 2015. The first phase of which is slated to open on December 30, 2016.

Charles Harvey demonstrating his elevated railroad design on. Even though there was an earlier, underground railroad called the. Since 1844, it had no underground subway stops. Construction of this tunnel, which was built mainly to create a. , began in May 1844 and the tunnel was open by December 1844. Where passengers could catch ferries to. The tunnel was reopened for tourism in 1982. And closed again in 2010. The beginnings of the actual Subway came from various excursion railroads to. In New York, competing steam-powered elevated railroads were built over major avenues. The first elevated line was constructed in 1867-70 by Charles Harvey and his.

West Side and Yonkers Patent Railway. Company along Greenwich Street and Ninth Avenue although. Were the initial mode of transportation on that railway. Later more lines were built on.

None of these structures remain today, but these lines later shared trackage with subway trains as part of the. In Kings County, elevated railroads were also built by several companies, over. These also later shared trackage with subway trains, and even operated into the subway, as part of the. Most of these structures have been dismantled, but some remain in original form, mostly rebuilt and upgraded. These lines were linked to Manhattan by various.

And later the tracks along the. (which originally had their own line, and were later integrated into the BRT/BMT). Also in Kings County, six. Excursion railroads were built to various beaches in the southern part of the county; all but one (the Manhattan Beach Line) eventually fell under.

Was the first attempt to build an underground. In 1869, Alfred Ely Beach. And his Beach Pneumatic Transit Company of New York began constructing a pneumatic subway line beneath.

Built in only 58 days. Its single tunnel, 312 feet (95 m) long, 8 feet (2.4 m) in diameter, was completed in 1870 and ran under Broadway from Warren Street to Murray Street. It remained little more than a curiosity, running only a single car on its one-block-long track to a dead-end at its terminus. Passengers would simply ride out and back, to see what the proposed subway might be like. Although the public showed initial approval, Beach was delayed in getting permission to expand it due to official obstruction for various reasons.

By the time he finally gained permission in 1873, public and financial support had waned, and the subway was closed down. The final blow to the project was a. Which caused investors to withdraw support. It is unclear that such a system could have been practical for a large-scale subway network. After the project was shut down, the tunnel entrance was sealed and the station, built in part of the basement of the. Was reclaimed for other uses. The entire building was lost to fire in 1898. In 1912, workers excavating for the present-day BMT Broadway Line. Dug into the old Beach tunnel; today, no part of this line remains as the tunnel was completely within the limits of the present day. Political cartoon critical of IRT service in 1905. The IRT is labeled as the "Interborough Rattled Transit". Early history of the IRT subway. In 1898, New York, Kings and Richmond Counties, and parts of Queens and Westchester Counties and their constituent cities, towns, villages and hamlets were consolidated into the. City of Greater New York. During this era the expanded City of New York resolved that it wanted the core of future rapid transit to be underground. But realized that no private company was willing to put up the enormous capital required to build beneath the streets. Planning for the system that was built began with the Rapid Transit Act, signed into law on May 22, 1894, which created the Board of Rapid Transit Railroad Commissioners. The act provided that the commission would lay out routes with the consent of property owners and local authorities, either build the system or sell a franchise for its construction, and lease it to a private operating company. Was considered, but at first a more costly route under lower Broadway was adopted. A legal battle with property owners along the route led to the courts denying permission to build through Broadway in 1896. The Elm Street route was chosen later that year, cutting west to Broadway via. This new plan, formally adopted on January 14, 1897, consisted of a line from.

To have four tracks from City Hall to the junction at 103rd Street. Along Forty-Second Street, as the commission put it, was necessitated by objections to using Broadway south of.

Legal challenges were finally taken care of near the end of 1899. The City decided to issue rapid transit.

Outside of its regular bonded debt limit and build the subways itself, and contracted with the. (which by that time ran the elevated lines in Manhattan) to equip and operate the subways, sharing the profits with the City and guaranteeing a fixed five-cent fare later confirmed in the. Rapid transit operations of the BRT and BMT. Lines in New York City. The BRT was incorporated January 18, 1896.

And the lessee of the. Brooklyn, Queens County and Suburban Railroad. Leased on July 1, 1898. The BRT took over the property of a number of surface railroads, the earliest of which, the.

Brooklyn, Bath and Coney Island Railroad. Opened for passenger service on.

Between Fifth Avenue at 36th Street at the then border of. A short piece of surface route of this railroad, near. Is the oldest existing piece of. Right-of-way in New York City, and in the U. On January 30, 1899, the Brooklyn Union Elevated Railroad was incorporated; it acquired the property of the.

The BRT gained control a month later, on March 25. And leased the elevated company to the. The other elevated company in Brooklyn, the. To the BRT on July 6, 1899.

Initially the surface and elevated railroad lines ran on. Between 1893 and 1900 the lines were converted to electricity operation.

An exception was the service on the. From 1883 to 1896, when they were converted to electric power.

By 1900, it had acquired virtually all of the. Operations in its target area. Coney Island and Brooklyn Railroad.

Van Brunt Street and Erie Basin Railroad. Remained independent; the former was acquired in 1913 or 1914. And leased to the BHRR. (Coney Island Elevated), acquired in November 1897.

Brooklyn, Bath and West End Railroad. Coney Island and Gravesend Railway. And leased to the BHRR in April 1899.

Brooklyn and Brighton Beach Railroad. (Brighton Beach Line), acquired in March 1899. (Fulton Street Line), acquired in November 1899. And merged into the Brooklyn Union Elevated on May 24, 1900.

Prospect Park and Coney Island Railroad. (Culver Line), leased to the BHRR on June 18, 1899.

The BRT became bankrupt by 1918. The New York Consolidated Railroad and New York Municipal Railway were merged in June 1923, the same month that the Brooklyn Rapid Transit Company.

To form the New York Rapid Transit Corporation. A contract, later known as Contract 1, was executed on February 21, 1900, between the commission and the Rapid Transit Construction Company, organized by. For the construction of the subway and a 50-year operating lease from the opening of the line.

Ground was broken at City Hall on March 24. A plan for an extension from City Hall to the. Terminal station (now known as Atlantic Terminal) in Brooklyn was adopted on January 24, 1901, and Contract 2, giving a lease of only 35 years, was executed between the commission and the Rapid Transit Construction Company on September 11, with construction beginning at.

In Manhattan on November 8, 1902. Belmont incorporated the Interborough Rapid Transit Company.

(IRT) in April 1902 as the operating company for both contracts; the IRT leased the. In Manhattan and the Bronx, on April 1, 1903. Operation of the subway began on October 27, 1904, with the opening of all stations from.

On the West Side Branch. The original system as included in Contract 1 was completed on January 14, 1907, when trains started running across the. And the Contract 2 portion was opened to Atlantic Avenue on May 1, 1908. An extension of Contract 1 north to. And opened on August 1, 1908. The original plan had been to turn east on 230th Street to just west of Bailey Avenue, at the. The subway system began during the. As the standard way to deliver electricity.

Alternating current became the standard for non-railroad purposes, but New York City Subway adopted direct current as more suitable for urban railroad purposes. Converts alternating current to 600 V.

To power the trains, as do most earlier and later local transit railways around the world. Uses 625V DC third rail. 1918 IRT map, after Contracts 1 and 2 were signed. After the statutory debt ceiling for the now united city of New York had been raised, there were more plans for subway construction until 1908. The Triborough Plan comprised three new lines. The BRT's track went over the. The Nassau Street Line was to connect to the Brooklyn Bridge, but never did. The connections to the other two bridges were built; the Manhattan Bridge connection was cut in 1967 with the building of the. This corresponded to today's. The BRT lines were built to wider profiles because the BRT did not want to use IRT trackage, which was narrower by comparison.

However, had to be the same. So the trains could interoperate under the Dual Contracts. The Fourth Avenue and Sea Beach Lines were opened on June 19, 1915, after years of delays for building of these lines and the Nassau Street Line.

The first BRT section, however, had opened on September 16, 1908, from. Until the completion of the Fourth Avenue Line, there was a tram across the Manhattan Bridge, which did not connect to any other trackage in the New York City Subway. The track was called Manhattan Bridge Three Cent Line. Due to their fare of three cents. Brooklyn and North River Railroad.

Companies, began operations on those tracks until the. , which also had two tracks each over the Brooklyn and Williamsburg Bridges. When trackage was connected to the bridge in 1915, the trolleys were moved to the upper level roadways until 1929, when service was discontinued.

The BRT, which just barely entered Manhattan via the Brooklyn Bridge, wanted the opportunity to compete with the IRT, and the IRT wanted to extend its Brooklyn line to compete with the BRT. This led to the City's agreeing to contract for future subways with both the BRT and IRT. The expansion of rapid transit was greatly facilitated by the signing of the.

And the City; the contract between the. The majority of the present-day subway system was either built or improved under these contracts. Which not only built new lines but added tracks and connections to existing lines of both companies. Were built at this time, and were for some time operated by both companies. Under the terms of Contracts 3 and 4, the city would build new subway and.

Rehabilitate and expand certain existing elevated lines, and lease them to the private companies for operation. The cost would be borne more-or-less equally by the City and the companies. The City's contribution was in cash raised by bond offerings, while the companies' contributions were variously by supplying cash, facilities and equipment to run the lines. Was complex because the Contracts necessitated two different types of. As part of the Contracts, the two companies were to share lines in.

And a longer line reaching initially to. The lines would operate jointly and would start from a huge station called. The IRT would access the station both from the 1907 Steinway Tunnel.

And an extension of the. The BRT would feed the Queens lines from a new tunnel from the. Technically the line was under IRT'ownership', but the BRT/BMT was granted.

In perpetuity, essentially making it theirs also. However, both lines were built to IRT specifications. This meant that IRT passengers had a one-seat ride to Manhattan destinations, whereas BRT passengers had to make a change at Queensborough Plaza.

This came to be important when service was extended for the. As the IRT was able to offer direct express trains from Manhattan, and the BRT was not. This practice lasted well into the municipal ownership of the lines, and was not ended until 1949. Several provisions were imposed on the companies: the fare was limited to five cents, and this led to financial troubles for the two companies after post- World War I. Inflation; the City had the right to "recapture" any of the lines it built, and run them as its own; and the City was to share in the profits. This eventually led to their downfall and consolidation into City ownership in 1948. Was an advocate of public operation of the subway, and wanted this goal to be set with a vengeance.

He was fired from the BRT after working as a motorman. In 1918 contributed to the losses incurred by the two companies, which led to the bankruptcy of the BRT in 1918. The BRT, however, was reorganized into the. The IRT was almost bankrupt, but managed to complete the. So, Hylan drew up plans for a third subway network, which should be built and operated in contrast to the existing subway lines, which were privately operated.

On the other hand, the city of New York had grown to over five and a half million inhabitants, and urgently needed new subway lines. The dual system could not keep pace with this ever-increasing ridership. So, a compromise solution was finally found that would allow Hylan's plans as well as the interests of private operators to be considered. However, the city's and Hylan's long-term goal was the unification and consolidation of the existing subway, with the city operating a unified subway system see. The city, bolstered by political claims that the private companies were reaping profits at taxpayer expense, determined that it would build, equip and operate a new system itself, with private investment and without sharing the profits with private entities. This led to the building of the. Independent City-Owned Subway (ICOS), sometimes called the. Independent City-Owned Rapid Transit Railroad , or simply. After the location of its. After the City acquired the. In 1940, the Independent lines were dubbed the. To follow the three-letter initialisms. The original IND system, consisting of the Eighth Avenue mainline and the. Branch lines, was entirely underground in the four boroughs that it served, with the exception of the. As the first line neared completion, New York City offered it for private operation as a formality, knowing that no operator would meet its terms.

Thus the city declared that it would operate it itself, formalizing a foregone conclusion. The first line opened without a formal ceremony.

The trains began operating their regular schedules ahead of time, and all stations of the. (now World Trade Center), opened simultaneously at one minute after midnight on September 10, 1932. On January 1, 1936, a second trunk linethe.

(where it splits from the Eighth Avenue Line) to. During construction, streetcar service along Sixth Avenue was terminated. The city could either restore it upon the completion of construction or abandon it immediately; as the city wanted to tear down the. On July 1, 1937, a third trunk line, the.

Two years later, on December 15, 1940, local service was begun along the entire IND Sixth Avenue line, including its core part through Midtown Manhattan. Meanwhile, on the East Side, the need for the. Had been evident since 1919, when the. New York Public Service Commission. Launched a study at the behest of engineer Daniel L.

Turner to determine what improvements were needed in the city's. The soaring costs of the expansion became unmanageable, so it was not built along with the other three IND trunk lines. Construction on the first phase of the IND was already behind schedule, and the city and state were no longer able to provide funding. A scaled-down proposal including a turnoff at 34th Street and a connection crosstown was postponed in 1931. Further revision of the plan and more studies followed.

By 1939, construction had been postponed indefinitely, and Second Avenue was relegated to "proposed" status. The 1939 plan for subway expansion took the line not only into the Bronx by now as a single line to.

But also south into Brooklyn, connecting to the stub of the. Construction of the line resumed in 1972, ended in 1976, and was again restarted in 2007. Proposed New York City Subway expansion. Line in 1904, various official and planning agencies have proposed numerous extensions to the subway system.

One of the better known proposals was the "Second System, " which was part of a plan by the. To construct new subway lines in addition and take over existing subway lines and railroad right-of-ways. Though most of the routes proposed over the decades have never seen construction, discussion remains strong to develop some of these lines, to alleviate existing subway capacity constraints and overcrowding, the most notable being the. Plans for new lines date back to the early 1910s.

On August 28, 1922, Mayor John Francis Hylan revealed his own plans for the subway system, which was relatively small at the time. His plan included taking over nearly 100 miles of existing lines and building over 100 miles of new lines. Construction of all these new lines would be completed by December 31, 1925, and passengers would be able to ride between the ends of New York City on one fare. The lines were designed to compete with the IRT and BMT. In 1926, a loop subway service was planned to be built to.

The most grandiose plan, conceived in 1929, was to be part of the city-operated. By 1939, with unification planned, all three systems were included. As this grandiose expansion was not built, the subway system is only 70% of what it was planned to be. Almost entirely underground, with 670 feet (200 m) platforms and. Throughout, the IND system tripled the City's rapid transit debt, ironically contributing to the demise of.

Plans for an ambitious expansion. Proposed before the first line of the first system was even opened. Due to this debt, after the IND Sixth Avenue Line was completed, only 28 new stations were built. Five stations were on the abandoned.

Fourteen stations were on the abandoned LIRR. (built as part of a 1968 plan), two stations 57th Street. And the three stations on the.

Are under construction with up to 14 more planned. However, the four MTA Capital Construction stations cost. Reflecting the scale of the debt that the IND brought the city into. The neighborhood is part of Queens Community Board 12. Jamaica is patrolled by the.

S 103rd, 113th & 105th Precincts. Under British rule, Jamaica became the center of the Town. Jamaica was the county seat of Queens County from the formation of the county in 1683 until March 7, 1788, when the town was reorganized by the state government and the county seat was moved to. (now part of Nassau County). In 1814, Jamaica became the first incorporated village on Long Island.

When Queens was incorporated into the. In 1898, both the Town of Jamaica and the Village of Jamaica were dissolved, but the neighborhood of Jamaica regained its role as county seat. Today, some locals group Jamaica's surrounding neighborhoods into an unofficial Greater Jamaica, roughly corresponding to the former Town of Jamaica, including. Jamaica is the location of several government buildings including. The civil branch of the Queens County Supreme Court.

The Queens County Family Court and the. Federal Building, home to the. S Northeastern Program Service Center. S Northeast Regional Laboratory as well as the New York District Office are also located in Jamaica.

Jamaica Center, the area around. And 165th Street, is a major commercial center, as well as the home of the Central Library of the. In South Ozone Park, lists its official address as Jamaica Central Jamaica once housed NYRA's.

And the hotels nearby also use Jamaica as their address. Our items have low starting prices well below their actual value, and reserve prices are rarely employed. Thank you for looking at our items - please browse our other auctions this week! Chestnut Hill Books ships to every country in the world at reasonable rates as suggested by the United States Postal Service.

Postcards are mailed between sturdy cardboard. We strive to describe each item completely and accurately.

Should you have any question about the condition or representation of your item. Chestnut Hill Books is a family-owned antiques business based out of the SouthCoast, Massachusetts. We collect historical items related to New Bedford, Massachusetts and the surrounding area (Dartmouth, Fairhaven, Westport etc), Boston College (tickets, programs, pennants, postcards, scrapbooks, pinbacks, sports & non-sports etc), Massachusetts political buttons & memorabilia and Mount Monadnock in Jaffrey, New Hampshire.

We normally respond to all inquiries in a timely manner. Don't forget to check our weekly auctions, with new items posted on most Sunday evenings. Thank you for looking at our auctions! The item "Scarce 1908 JAMAICA QUEENS NEW YORK CITY SUBWAY Pinback BUTTON Long Island NY" is in sale since Thursday, February 08, 2018.

This item is in the category "Collectibles\Transportation\Subways". The seller is "chestnuthillbooks" and is located in New Bedford, Massachusetts. This item can be shipped worldwide.

  • Type: Pinback
  • Theme: Subway
  • City: New York
  • Borough: Queens
  • Neighborhood: Jamaica